Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chronicle



Chronicle (2012)
Starring: Dane DeHaan, Alex Russel, and Michael B. Jordan
Directed by: Josh Trank
SC=4 V=8 C=6
Grade: A+

This was a movie that I didn't know what to expect going in. But I LOVED it. The acting is great, especially by Dane DeHaan, who reminds me of a young version of Leonardo DiCaprio. I thought it was just me until I went online and thought a lot of other people thought that, too. Glad I'm not alone on that. Anyway, needless to say I thought he was ADORABLE. Chronicle is a "found footage" film that is similar to Cloverfield, The Blair Witch Project, and the Paranormal Activity series. Those kinds of films have a tendency of being stupid and dizzying from their camera effects; Chronicle ,thankfully, is different. Andrew (DeHaan) is a high-school teenager who has decided to record his life. Through these videos, we find out Andrew is a total outcast. Andrew's father is an abusive drunk, his mother is dying, and his cousin, Matt (Russell), barely tolerates him. One day, while Matt is driving Andrew back from school, Matt convinces Andrew to go to a party with him. He then asks Andrew not to bring his camera, but Andrew doesn't listen. After being bullied in the party with no help from Matt, Andrew leaves, only to be approached by Matt's friend, Steve (Jordan), who wants Andrew to record something the two boys had found: a giant mysterious hole with equally mysterious noises coming from inside. Steve, Matt, and Andrew climb down into the hole (which does not sound like a bright idea to me). They find some unknown object, which makes their noses bleed and destroys Andrew's new camera. Some time later, Andrew, Matt, and Steve are then shown with their newly developed telekinetic powers. Instead of using their powers to fight crime, the three friends use their powers to play practical jokes on people, which admittedly is probably what most teenage boys would do in this situation. As their powers get stronger, so does Andrew's dark side. Matt and Steve don't realize the pain Andrew has been in until it's too late. What really amazes me about Chronicle is how well everything has been written. The writing is realistic and quick, as are the three main characters. It's rare that you see this in any film, much less a "found footage" film like this. Overall, a high quality film with extremely high quality actors. I highly recommend this movie.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about this movie last night! I saw it on Amazon on my new Kindle Fire! It looks like worth watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete