Saturday, January 23, 2010

Movie Review: Save the Last Dance

Save the Last Dance (2001)
Starring: Julia Stiles and Sean Patrick Thomas
Characters: Sara and Derek
Directed by: Thomas Carter
Tagline: The only person you need to be is yourself
Grade: B+

I love dance movies. I love dancing, so obviously I would love movies in which the characters dance. This was a pretty good dance movie, not one of the best, but still pretty good. I might be biased because my favorite dance movie is Step Up and Step Up 2 The Streets, which are both amazing. But this one was still pretty awesome. The movie is about a ballerina (Sara) who has to move in with her father, who lives in a pretty rough neighborhood, after her mother dies. There, she meets Derek, who is a very smart guy that wants to be a doctor. Sara decides that she wants to learn how to dance in a club, instead of just ballet. As he teaches her to dance, they start liking each other, which starts a lot of talk. One of the things I didn't like so much about this movie was all of the racial stuff, which I thought took away from the main point of the movie. Another thing I didn't like so much was the lack of dancing. There are a couple scenes, which are very short, where Derek is teaching her how to dance and a couple of club scenes. Other than those and the very long scene at the end, when Sara auditions for Julliard, there's not a whole lot of dancing. So, overall, a pretty good movie...it's a movie that involves dancing, I just wouldn't exactly call it a "dance" movie.
-MOT

No comments:

Post a Comment