Thursday, January 21, 2010

Movie Review: The Thing Called Love

The Thing Called Love (1993)
Starring: River Phoenix and Samantha Mathis
Characters: James Wright and Miranda Presley
Directed by: Peter Bogdanovich
Tagline: Stand by your dream
Grade: B

This movie was pretty good. It wasn't the best one movie I've seen, but it had River Phoenix in it, so I was willing to give it a lot of leeway. He's one of the best actors ever, and one of my very favorites, so that's why I watched it. And he was great. The movie about a girl from New York (Miranda) that moves to Nashville to pursue her dream of being a country music singer. Once she gets there she meets a "cowboy" from Connecticut (Dermot Mulroney), a Southern belle with an unfortunate name (Sandra Bullock, ah! lol), and a Texan boy that's actually doing pretty well in the song writing business (James). River was amazing (as usual), Samantha Mathis was ok, but kind of annoying, Sandra Bullock was awesome and funny, as always, and I've liked Dermot Mulroney since Young Guns. I also liked the ending, where she ended up with the guy she was meant to be with instead of making some stupid ending. I don't like stupid endings. So overall, I guess it was a pretty good movie, but I wouldn't reccomend it over other movies. But River Phoenix fans would probably enjoy it. But it also makes me sad that this was his last role in a movie and the role wasn't spectacular like his role in Running on Empty or, my favorite movie of all time, Stand by Me.
-MOT

No comments:

Post a Comment