Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Movie Review: Say Anything...

Ok...so I've decided to review a movie.
A) Because I like writing
B) Because I'm bored
C) Because the title of this blog is, after all, Musings of a Movie Obsessed Teenager
D) Because I love talking about movies
So, here goes...

Say Anything... (1989)
Starring: John Cusack and Ione Sky
Characters: Lloyd Dobler and Diane Court
Directed by: Cameron Crowe
Tagline: To know Lloyd Dobler is to love him. Diane Court is about to know Lloyd Dobler.
Grade: A

I think it's fitting that the first movie review I write is about an 80's movie. There is no way to measure the love I have for 80's movies. Most of my favorite movies are made up of them. But I love this one in particular. It actually didn't interest me at first. But I watched it because I had gone to a lot of trouble to record it and I didn't have any other movies to watch. Now, I'm so glad I did. Because now, I love, love, love Say Anything...
The movie is basically about an unpopular guy (Lloyd), who also happens to be a wonderful guy, is in love with the beautiful and smart girl (Diane). It's pretty predictable, right? Wrong. Not only does she end up loving him back, but there's even a sort of "mystery" involved. **Spoiler** Diane's father is being investigated by the IRS. At first, you just think it's an unnecessary diversion from the main point of the movie. But it soon becomes what brings Lloyd and Diane back together. In the end, she (kind of) reconciles with her father and heads off to England, with Lloyd there to support her. Which, I think is a good ending.
Not only does this movie have a great ending (Woo! for happy endings), it also has several unexpected turns...*insert ghostly sound and cackle* Not that kind of unexpected turn, but still.
-MOT

Just finished: Say Anything... (still)
Watching now: Never Been Kissed (still)
Excited to see: Dear John

No comments:

Post a Comment